Nothing adds more fun to a wedding cake cutting ceremony than the right music! I'm pleased to share with you 20 top wedding cake cutting ceremony songs by Gregg Hollmann of Ambient DJ Service www.http://ambientdj.com
My Daughter's Cakes now has its own playlist on Spotify! Seriously, that's cool. Thanks so much, Gregg!
Top Song Ideas for a Wedding Cake Cutting Ceremony
by Gregg Hollmann of Ambient DJ Service
A wedding cake cutting ceremony is a fun and whimsical tradition of a wedding reception where the bride and groom slice a piece of cake and feed one another. It’s typical for the band or DJ to play a song or two to accompany the cake cutting festivities. Listed below are twenty of our top selections for cake cutting songs, updated for 2016. Of course, these songs should be accompanied by a delicious wedding cake from My Daughter’s Cakes!
Top Cake Cutting Songs
- Sugar, Sugar – The Archies (oldies)
- Chapel of Love – The Dixie Cups (oldies)
- This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) – Natalie Cole (R&B/Soul) (* note: with Natalie Cole’s passing in early 2016, we expect her music to receive greater attention this year)
- L-O-V-E – Nat King Cole (oldies)
- Love and Marriage – Frank Sinatra (crooners)
- Sugar – Maroon 5 (* note: be sure to use the radio edited version, and also check out the super fun wedding-related music video for this song at https://youtu.be/09R8_2nJtjg)
- Marry You – Bruno Mars (pop)
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly – Ennio Morricone (soundtrack) (* note: imagine a Wild West shoot-out!)
- Hit Me With Your Best Shot – Pat Benatar (80s rock)
- I Want Candy – The Bow Wow (New Wave / 80s)
- Pour Some Sugar on Me – Def Leppard (80s rock)
- Cuts Like a Knife – Bryan Adams (rock)
- I Got You Babe – Sonny & Cher (oldies)
- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You) – Marvin Gaye (Motown)
- I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) – The Four Tops (Motown)
- For Once in My Life – Stevie Wonder (Motown)
- When I’m Sixty-Four – The Beatles (oldies)
- Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran (pop ballad) (* note: this song references a couple turning old together and is the modern day reincarnation of the Beatles’ ‘When I’m Sixty-Four’)
- Cut the Cake – Average White Band (disco/funk)
- Dessert (Remix) – Dawin (hip hop / R&B)
To listen to these songs, visit the “My Daughters Cakes” playlist on Spotify at:
For a wealth of additional wedding music song ideas, visit Ambient DJs’ “Wedding Music Master Class 2016” at http://ambientdj.com/ambience-a-nj-dj-blog/365-wedding-music-master-class-2016.html
Tips to Ensure a Smooth Cake Cutting Ceremony
- Prior to initiating the ceremony, make sure that the knife, forks and plate are present at the cake table.
- Grooms – remember to wear your jackets.
- When feeding one another, it is customary to tease your partner with a dab of cake to the nose or lips. Smashing cake in the other’s face is not advised.
- Smile for your wedding photographer and doting guests. The cake cutting ceremony is one of the best photo opportunities of the night!
About Ambient DJ Service
Ambient DJ Service (www.ambientdj.com) is a full-service mobile DJ entertainment company specializing in weddings, teen dance parties, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and corporate events. Based in Central NJ, Ambient DJ provides service across the state of New Jersey, and in Eastern Pennsylvania and New York City. Ambient DJ Service is a 2016 Knot “Best of Weddings” Award Winner, and in 2013 was voted by peers as “Best DJ Company in the State of New Jersey” in the Wedding Industry Expert Awards.